This article may contain compensated links. Learn more in our disclaimer.
This is for you if you want more.
If you want to go cycling in Riga, and if Riga – Jurmala bike path isn’t enough for you. If Riga – Olaine isn’t enough for you. And if also Riga – Varnukrogs – Bolderaja isn’t long enough for you. Then Riga – Adazi – Carnikava – Vecaki – Riga might be just the right route for you to check out.
Continue reading to learn more about this route.
1. Cycling Riga – Adazi – Carnikava – Vecaki: Basics
The best part about this route is that it’s mostly bike paths.
Another thing to love about this route is the diversity. You start cycling in a city center. Then there are some quiet bike paths on the outskirts of Riga. You’re visiting a couple of small towns on the way. And then there’s also a beach — you’re riding on it for some time on your way back. A small part of the route is on not so busy roads.
Riga – Bergi – Adazi – Carnikava – Kalngale – Vecaki – Mezaparks – Riga.
Step by step:
1. Riga – Bergi – bike path.
2. In Bergi there’s a quiet road you’ll be cycling on. To cross the highway take a pedestrian bridge near shop Depo.
3. Bergi – Adazi – bike path.
4. In Adazi there’s a nice sidewalk you can cycle on.
5. Adazi – Carnikava – Kalngale – road. From around half way between Carnikava and Kalngale it’s also possible to take forest roads instead.
6. Kalngale – Vecaki – beach.
7. Vecaki – Mezaparks – Riga – bike path.
DISTANCE: around 47 miles / 76 km in total.
You can rent a bicycle in Riga, and that’s super easy. A cheap bicycle starts from 5 EUR / day.
TIPS: Adazi is the best place where to stop for a lunch or some snack. There are a few cafes and a big supermarket at the very beginning of the town. Carnikava is your second best option for that.
2. Cycling Riga – Adazi – Carnikava – Vecaki: Our Experience
To be honest, I didn’t know it’s possible.
I didn’t know it’s possible to have such a pleasant ride there.
I really didn’t expect this route to be as pleasant as it turned out. I didn’t expect to be cycling on bike paths this much, and I didn’t expect the road from Carnikava to Kalngale to be this okay. So if you’re looking for places where to go cycling in Riga, and if you want to take a longer ride, then definitely check out this route.
To skip the roads, you can ride until Adazi, turn around and go back.
Here are a few photos from our Adazi – Carnikava – Vecaki – Riga ride:
Have you been to Latvia? Have you tried cycling in Riga or somewhere else? What was your experience of cycling in Latvia?
Book Your Trip Like a PRO
1. Book Your Flight. Find cheap flights using Kiwi.com, Momondo.com. Or subscribe to Dollar Flight Club, if you don’t want to be searching for the flights yourself. Momondo usually is my first choice.
2. Book Your Accommodation. Booking.com, Agoda.com and Airbnb. I use Booking and Agoda at least a dozen times a year, and Airbnb – when looking for a long-term stay. My best tip is to ALWAYS compare the price. Sometimes the same hotel is cheaper on Booking.com, other times – on Agoda. Always compare the price!
3. Buy Your Travel Insurance. World Nomads and SafetyWings are two companies I can recommend. World Nomads offers some extra benefits, that will be important for those doing some higher risk activities, while SafetyWings is significantly cheaper. SafetyWings is only $9.25 / week.
Disclaimer for Amazon Associates: MakeAdventureHappen.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.