This article may contain compensated links. Learn more in our disclaimer.
This is for you if you want more.
If you want to go cycling in Riga, and if Riga – Jurmala bike path isn’t enough for you. If Riga – Olaine isn’t enough for you. And if also Riga – Varnukrogs – Bolderaja isn’t long enough for you. Then Riga – Adazi – Carnikava – Vecaki – Riga might be just the right route for you to check out.
Continue reading to learn more about this route.
1. Cycling Riga – Adazi – Carnikava – Vecaki: Basics
The best part about this route is that it’s mostly bike paths.
Another thing to love about this route is the diversity. You start cycling in a city center. Then there are some quiet bike paths on the outskirts of Riga. You’re visiting a couple of small towns on the way. And then there’s also a beach — you’re riding on it for some time on your way back. A small part of the route is on not so busy roads.
Riga – Bergi – Adazi – Carnikava – Kalngale – Vecaki – Mezaparks – Riga.
Step by step:
1. Riga – Bergi – bike path.
2. In Bergi there’s a quiet road you’ll be cycling on. To cross the highway take a pedestrian bridge near shop Depo.
3. Bergi – Adazi – bike path.
4. In Adazi there’s a nice sidewalk you can cycle on.
5. Adazi – Carnikava – Kalngale – road. From around half way between Carnikava and Kalngale it’s also possible to take forest roads instead.
6. Kalngale – Vecaki – beach.
7. Vecaki – Mezaparks – Riga – bike path.
DISTANCE: around 47 miles / 76 km in total.
You can rent a bicycle in Riga, and that’s super easy. A cheap bicycle starts from 5 EUR / day.
TIPS: Adazi is the best place where to stop for a lunch or some snack. There are a few cafes and a big supermarket at the very beginning of the town. Carnikava is your second best option for that.
2. Cycling Riga – Adazi – Carnikava – Vecaki: Our Experience
To be honest, I didn’t know it’s possible.
I didn’t know it’s possible to have such a pleasant ride there.
I really didn’t expect this route to be as pleasant as it turned out. I didn’t expect to be cycling on bike paths this much, and I didn’t expect the road from Carnikava to Kalngale to be this okay. So if you’re looking for places where to go cycling in Riga, and if you want to take a longer ride, then definitely check out this route.
To skip the roads, you can ride until Adazi, turn around and go back.
Here are a few photos from our Adazi – Carnikava – Vecaki – Riga ride:
Have you been to Latvia? Have you tried cycling in Riga or somewhere else? What was your experience of cycling in Latvia?